Main Content
Frequently Asked Questions...


Can I apply for financial aid at any time?

Yes, you can apply for financial aid at any time at Allegany College of Maryland. However, we do have a priority date of March 1 for those students attending in the fall semester.   For students attending in the spring semester, we have a priority date of November 1. For Willowbrook Woods residences, your file must be completed by July 1 for proper processing.


I've completed my Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and added your school code (002057), what happens next?

The school will receive your FAFSA results generally within 3-5 business days. Once the college receives your FAFSA results, the Student Financial Aid Office will send you an email to your college email account giving you the next steps to process your file.


Do I need to apply for admission to ACM before I complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) ?

No, you do not have to apply for admission to the college first; however, applying for admission to the college does setup your student record in our system. Without your student record setup in our system with a valid social security number on file in the Admissions Office, the college cannot receive your FAFSA results. 


How long does the financial aid process take? 

Normally, the financial aid process generally take anywhere from 2-4 weeks once we have all required documents in your file.


How do I apply for a loan?

All students are offered federal student loan once their financial aid file has been processed.  In order for the student loan to be disbursed, a student must:  

  • be registered for at least 6 credits;
  • making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP);
  • not be in default of any previous student loans
Further instructions on how to accept your student loan will be included in your award letter packet.


When completing the FAFSA, income information needs to be transferred from the IRS.  How does this process work? 

Detailed information and step by step directions to complete this can be found on our website at   


When will I get my refund check?

Financial aid gets paid at various times during the semester; loans normally pay first (30 day hold for first time borrowers), followed by other types of grants (pell, SEOG, state grants).  Students in one semester programs will have their loan funds paid in two disbursements.  You can monitor your WebAdvisor account to see when payments are processed. 


I am having trouble with my student email account and/or WebAdvisor. Who do I contact?

Contact the Help Desk at ACM - 301-784-4357.


What is a FERPA form and why do I need to complete one every academic year? 

The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of a student's educational records. In compliance with FERPA, the Allegany College of Maryland Student Financial Aid Office and Business Office are unable to disclose/release financial aid and student billing information to anyone other than the student without a signed release form.  Since a student's situation can change from year to year, we must have a new form completed each academic year.


What part does WebAdvisor play in regards to my financial aid information? 

You can view documents needed to complete your financial aid file, along with awards granted and other account and academic information on your WebAdvisor account.  WebAdvisor can be accessed at


What if I am terminated from receiving Financial Aid?  Is there anything I can do to get my aid reinstated?

Everyone has the right to appeal a termination decision.  You will need to complete an Appeal Form and an Academic Compliance Plan.  Further information regarding the appeal process can be found at or by calling 301-784-5206.


I need to submit my final high school transcript - where do I send it?

Final high school transcripts must be submitted in a school sealed envelope to the Admissions/Registration Office. An official final high school transcript must be on file in order to use aid for tuition, to charge books or for any financial aid to pay.


I have moved - who do I contact with an address change? 

You may contact Admissions/Registration to update your address.